Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Of course

Sooo, here I am with mini-cakes in the oven, trying to figure out if I should've used bread pans for the cakes instead because I'm not really sure what will make the best train cars and engine for pack meeting tomorrow...but I definitely need them done today so I can cut them up and design them tomorrow--and I can't do them tonight because we have a date-night planned (with babysitting) and we never have a date-night planned. The mini-loaves are too small for oreo wheels but probably too big for life-saver wheels. Would a bread pan engine with mini-loaf cars look ridiculously disproportionate or just mostly disproportionate? Do I even have time to decorate a slew of mini-cake-loaves tomorrow, considering that I have to pick up six 4' subs and 3 plates of wraps sometime after 1PM tomorrow so that they're ready for an MSSA opening social (starting at 6PM) which I will also need to help set-up with both kids in tow since my dear husband has school and then a required meeting/dinner at 5PM.

These are the things I'm wondering as I emerge from the kitchen, having just shut the oven door, when said husband emerges from the kids' room. Nathan is napping. Nathan was left in his room for naptime with only a diaper on. This is a big no-no Mom has learned to avoid; Daddy put Nathan down for a nap to help out. To return, Husband/Daddy emerges from Nathan's room complaining of a poopy smell and warning that Nathan has probably put his hand in his diaper while it was poopy...again. We return to investigate and it is worse than supposed. Nathan put his hand in his diaper before he fell asleep and wandered around the whole room. Look there is a bit of brown on the crib, on the diaper hamper next to the crib, on the carpet leading to the bed, a bunch on the Winnie-the-Pooh rug (ha ha) and, of course, all over the toddler bed and toddler. It is very wet looking but crusty. Daddy has to go back to class, but, because he is so nice, he cleans Nathan in the tub (with cold water from the sounds of it) before leaving. I wipe the room down and make a disgusting pile for laundry. I add "scrub the tub" to my to-do list.

As I leave Nathan's room, I smell slightly overcooked cake and rush to the oven. Apparently, we filled the mini-loaves a little too full because they have all overflowed. Of course.

Here, at least, is to the foresight of buying 2 cake mixes.

1 comment:

shep955 said...

I enjoyed the rich description about your day making the train. It has your unique writing voice combined with your somewhat manic view of the world. Just remember when the engine and the rest of the train are disproportionate that your dad still loves you.