Friday, April 23, 2010

Kid-Speak

As I was in the bathroom a moment ago, putting my make-up on and otherwise getting ready to leave the house, this is what I could hear coming from the nursery (as Tyce decided to call the kids' room since he read Peter Pan):  Nathan talking quietly & animatedly to himself (& his toys) as he played with his blocks and rocket ship; Katie sing-talking to one of her dolls; Ivy making gurgly babbling noises, playing with something.
These sounds were beautiful.  I loved to hear them.  But why, oh why, do I only hear sounds like these coming from the nursery when I've said:  "Okay, pick up these toys and we'll go the museum (or zoo, or park, or any other fun destination previously agreed upon)!" The happy sounds I have to add were punctuated by the sounds of Nathan's blocks being dumped upon the ground. 
This is certainly not the first time leaving for the zoo has turned in to happy solo play--play that often lasts for hours and, when it's finally too late to go & I'm frustrated with reminding them to pick up so we can go, they cry "Let's go!  You promised!" 
There really was only a couple of toys on the floor.  Nathan begged me to go the museum.  I thought for sure this time we were in the clear.  Alas.  Not so.
I think the problem lies with me.  I don't speak kid fluently.  Apparently, when I say, "Okay, pick up and let's go (somewhere fun)" what I'm saying in kid is "Play happily with your toys for as long as you can possibly stand it and maybe then we'll go (somewhere fun)."  What I need to do is learn how to translate my Mom-speak to kid-speak.  What's kid-speak for "Let's do what we already agreed to do.  Please just pick up the 2 toys so we can go!"?  Maybe next time I'll try:  "Leave your toys on the floor and let's play in your room together." 
They're still in there playing.  Maybe I'll go try it right now.

1 comment:

* Stephanie said...

Wow, you're kids are growing up (I guess that's what happens when I slack off on checking out blogs -- the kids all grow up without me knowing it). I still remember Katie with very little hair. :)
How's it going, guys? We should do a game night sometime with all of us again. (I think I'm going through game withdrawals, the only time we play games anymore is over the phone -- not that that's not a great way to do it). Well, miss you guys.