Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wildcat "Mountain"

 
"Wildcat Mountain" got its name from a bobcat that was eating sheep.  The farmers chased it to the top of a large hill where they caught and killed it.  It was initially called "Wildcat Hill."  At some point, it was determined that "Wildcat Mountain" sounded better and the name was changed.
So, although the "mountain" did look more like a very large hill to my sensibilities, I was nonetheless initially pleased with this state park as we drove up.  The trees were interspersed with some rocky terrain and we had to drive up a steep slope to check in to our campsite.  It felt more like my notion of camping at the get-go than any of the other places we've camped at in Wisconsin.  I was looking forward to finding out what our site would look like.
On our way to check in, we passed what looked like a very nice, grassy picnic area and I thought we might stop there to eat before we set up camp.  Indeed.  Turns out the picnic area was the camping area.  Below is a picture of our spot.  We went on a warm weekend early in April, so we pretty much had the pick of the place.  This is the spot that was recommended by the campsite manager because she knew we had little kids and it was close to the outhouse.  Indeed...again.


<--This is our spot.


This is the view from our spot.  -->
It seemed closer to me than this picture makes it look.


So, I was initially very disappointed with our picnic spot camp site.  I usually like a little more privacy and, well, I was a little concerned about the potential smell and the early morning/late night queue bound to form across the way.  Even with little kids, I thought, I don't like to be that close.
A few sites down & across the road from ours, I spotted a site that was much more to my taste.  At least, it wasn't surrounded on 3 sides by potential, close neighbors with an outhouse on the 4th.  And it had a much nicer view. 
<--The other site and its view.
I considered asking Tyce to go switch our spots.  Then I looked closer at said view and remembered I'm the Mom of a 4, 3, & 1 year old.
You see the line of trees.  That's where some of the steep slopage I was mentioning earlier comes in.  It wasn't exactly a drop-off but it wasn't exactly the ideal forest playground for Nathan either.

However, to make a short story turned long just a little longer, I ended up being very happy in outhouse spot #1.  Probably since it wasn't sweltering August weather, there was no smell...and no neighbors.  It was a lot easier to keep the tent clean when the kids ran around on grass--rather than on the dirt my sensibilities thought they wanted.   And the grass was also much kinder to Ivy's toddling/crawling (& her clothes) than dirt and sticks would've been. 
Now aren't you glad you read this far into my rambling to find out it all had a happy ending?  But wait!  There's more: we had a fantastic weekend.  I do have pictures of the kids and other things much more interesting than snapshots of picnic tables & outhouses. 


Exhibit A: Kids stuffed in Jeep like sardines in a can in order to pack all our gear & our bikes (and bike trailers, and food...)



<---Exhibit B:  Really cool flying saucer fungi. 





















And oh, so cute family shots.

Tune in next time for the conclusion of this exciting saga...







with pictures galore--which is why I won't finish tonight.  Too many pictures to upload and explain.

2 comments:

Ashley Ann said...

Faith it's like you didn't know that we have a blog too. I even wrote a brilliant poem at the top of it. www.ashleyannandandy.blogspot.com

Get it?! Ashley Ann and Andy, like Raggedy Ann etc... Oh sigh.

Ashley Ann said...

Oh whoops. I did it logged in as Ashley. This is Andy.